August 5, 2017
7:30 - 11:30 am
Troop 401 is hosting a fishing derby for Cub Scouts in 1st - 5th grades. The event is free. Cub Scouts will compete to catch the biggest bass, biggest bluegill, biggest catfish, longest fish, most fish caught and most species of fish caught. Forest Oaks Park is adjacent to Lemm Elementary.
There is no charge for the event; however, participants are encouraged to bring a fishing related door prize (~$5 value). Parents can pool resources with other parents for bigger prizes (e.g., three parents get one $15 prize). The more prizes, the more can be given to Scouts.
Register for the Fishing Derby
|7:30 – 8:00
||Awards and door prizes
What to Bring
- Rod and reel (a fishing license is not required for Scouts)
- Bait and tackle (garden worms work well as bait)
- Fishing related door prize (~$5 value).
- Water bottle or cup (Troop 401 will have coolers with water scattered around the park)
- Closed-toed shoes are encouraged
- Appropriate clothing for the weather
- Insect repellent
- BSA Health and Medical form for every participant
- Hand cleaner (e.g., hand sanitizer, baby wipes)
Awards will be given out in the following categories: • Biggest bass • Biggest bluegill • Biggest catfish • Longest fish caught • Most fish caught • Most species of fish caught
Late Breaking Information
Late-breaking news and announcements will be emailed to those registered and posted on the Iron District Facebook page.
Please like our page at www.facebook.com/pg/Iron-Horse-District-Sam-Houston-Area-Council-132235420760218. Invite parents and Scouters in the district to like our page. Units and Scouters can tag us (@@Iron Horse District - Sam Houston Area Council) and message pictures. To make sure you never miss a post, after liking the page, click on 'Following' and 'See First.' To help us promote Scouting, please engage with our content by liking, commenting and sharing our posts.
For additional district communications, sign up for the Iron Horse District newsletter.
For additional council information, sign up for the eScouter and follow the Sam Houston Area Council Facebook page. Tag the council (@shac.bsa) and send them pics of your Scouting memories.
Iron Horse District Facebook Iron Horse District Newsletter SHAC Facebook
Notice! Please be advised that promotional videotaping/photography may be in progress at any time at an event. Your entrance constitutes your agreement that the district has the right to reproduce your likeness in videography/photography for promotion (e.g., publications, internet, newspaper).
- Participants will receive tournament instruction and a door prize coupon at check in.
- Fishing will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. and end promptly at 10:30 a.m. If you arrive late your fishing time will be limited.
- Each participant may only win one award. Separate tie-breaker rules will be posted at the derby headquarters.
- After awards are given for the top catches, door prizes will be drawn. Top door prize will be a fishing rod and reel combination. You must be present to win a door prize.
- This will be a paper tournament… All fish caught will be measured and then recorded on an individual tournament record sheet. All fish must be released alive. If you kill a fish in the process of taking the hook out, you may not count that fish. Barbs on hooks should be flattened to limit injury to the fish.
- Parents are expected to assist the fishermen. They can fill in the fishing tournament record forms, measure the fish caught, bait hooks and assist with removing hooks from the fish. Parents may instruct the boys in casting but the boys should be doing the fishing… The parent may not catch a fish and then hand the rod to their son… Also, parents are expected to make sure their son abides by all park rules so as to maintain safety and to leave the park as we found it.
- This is a private facility and we are guests. Please treat the park and buildings with respect so that we can be invited back!
- The purpose of the tournament is to have fun… If your son has the best spot on the lake or the perfect bait, please share your secrets (or your spot) with your fellow Scouts.
- All participants will be required to sign a liability waiver to participate in this event.
The BSA's Commitment to Safety is ongoing and we want you to know that the safety of our youth, volunteers, staff, and employees cannot be compromised. BSA Guide to Safe Scouting policies must be followed and all participants must follow youth protection guidelines at all Scouting events. Highlights include:
- Two-deep leadership on all outings required.
- No one-on-one contact between adults and youth members.
- The buddy system should be used at all times.
- Discipline must be constructive.
Youth Protection Guidelines Guide to Safe Scouting Enterprise Risk Management
For questions, contact the fishing derby chair or district activities chair.
From I-45 and Cypresswood, proceed West on Cypresswood for 0.8 miles and turn left (South) on Joanleigh Drive. Continue on Joanleigh Drive (past Lemm Elementary School) until it intersects Cypress Oaks Drive (about 0.6 miles). Turn left on Cypress Oaks Drive and proceed about 200 feet. Turn right into the parking lot. Follow signs to the derby headquarters. Overflow parking will be at Lemm Elementary School.